Sunday 8 May 2011

To Humans...with love

Humans,

                                             I know few of you have time for this, but I can not afford to remain unheard any more. I meant to write sooner, but on each of my previous attempts, hesitancy claimed me. I am glad to have outfought it this time around, the urgency of the matter at hand being my driving force. Now, before you lose all interest and read no further, allow me to introduce myself. Maybe it would help me hold your attention for a while. You occasionally call me your Mother and always treat me like a huge lifeless ball of sand, soil, rock, ice, and a bit more. I am the Earth. And I am hurt.

Do I have your attention now? I shall assume that I do.

                                            Now, I could get straight to the point, but you won’t get it. I could go about synthesizing a helpful little prelude, too, but you have already made your guesses, haven’t you? Either ways, I shall make an attempt to ensure you understand my position here. You are smart enough to have guessed my age( forty-six billion years), but for now, at least for as long as you are reading this letter, think of me as a forty-six year old woman. Yes, I know, some of you, too, have thought of me this way before. While this may not make a lot of sense, but it definitely puts things in perspective. That done, you will see that all humanity as you know it, arrived two hours ago in my life. A human life? A sparkle in my eyes. Now, how long does it take a thirty-year old to become what they are when they are thirty? Thirty years. A forty-six year old? Forty-six years. So, it’s taken me forty-six (billion) years to become what you find me to be now. And that’s just the time taken. I would rather not go into the effort put in, or the pains undertaken. You have made some educated guesses about what I've gone through, and most of them are right. So, what makes me reach out to you today, after all these years of silence? And why you of all the - species - if you will? I reach out to you for a simple reason - it is about you.
                                            Please do not be offended to hear that mosquitoes treat me better than you do. And this fact shatters me. A mother is rarely found to have favorites, but you were my brightest child. Ever since. I have enjoyed your pursuit of everything you have ever pursued, and you make it worthwhile, all the constant turmoil of the forty-six years. Imagine my expression, child, when humans first decided that they will squeeze those dangly things the cows have, and drink whatever comes out! I knew you will soon own the planet. You may not have known the secret, but you definitely knew how to work with it. Here is the secret: Every Life flourishes at the cost of another. If I’m not much mistaken, probably the closest any of you got to discovering it was a kid called Charles Robert Darwin. He, of course, called it Survival Of The Fittest. Anyway, you sure did begin to rule all the living and non-living things within your ever-expanding reach. But in the process, you have inflicted quite a bit of irreparable damage. No child, I’m not complaining about your petty little mining projects, or your overly ambitious construction plans. I am your mother and will naturally do all in my power to feed, water and shelter you. Didn’t I just say that you made it worthwhile? It is more than that.
                                          Being the most intelligent beings in your(and mine) known universe, you need not be told about how and in what ways you are hurting me, and by extension, hurting the chances of survival of your future generations. This letter is not about the how. I don't need to give you the numbers and the statistics, do I? I know you have your own sources to look up if you wish to find out how plastic, deforestation, pollution, population, and several other what-not’s are poisoning me. You might use the term ‘gradually’ here, but considering what I have sustained in the last half an hour or so in my life, I find it far from gradual. It’s a very fast blur of destruction! Also, did it ever occur to you that the ways you know in which you are hurting me, might not actually be the ‘only’ ways? That there could be more, and you are only too small a child to know it all? Not insulting your intelligence, or your knowledge, but tell me honestly, do you actually believe that you know everything about me? A yes for an answer will make me laugh, let me assure you. Also, I wished my children to stay united. Or as united as they can be. I don’t even approve of the concept of Borders and Countries! I started out with a Pangea, remember? All the land was together, meant to be shared. Unfortunately, that didn’t work, the land had to break into smaller pieces for settlement purposes then. But you guys really rubbed it in. Remember, I am designed to protect you from a lot that's out there, but not from within. Not from yourselves. I have seen my children disappear, entire kinds. There’s quite a list. I would not like it if you join that list. You who can save my other children from - what’s the phrase you use? ah! - Becoming Extinct. Help them, please. And help yourselves. Share, and recycle. Avoid greed and selfishness. I have a lifespan too, and I’m an infinite source of nothing. Don’t exhaust me too fast in your greed. Don't waste your resources searching water and life on the moon and the Mars. There is nothing there! Nothing of practical significance, anyway. Enjoy all these free trips around the sun. Lastly, I know this letter has little new, little you didn't know before, but I just thought hearing it all from me in person might change a thing or two, you know. I thought maybe the authenticity of it might make a mind think. Question is, would that mind be yours?

I am, yours sincerely,

- The Earth.

2 comments:

  1. I love my mother earth, decidedly more than my biological mother. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to sink my fingers into the ground and feel her warmth. Nothing is more apparent of her love than the blossoming of the greenery, even the weeds. I return to Mothber Earth when I am deep in comtemplation. It is the only place I can clear my head.
    Thank you for being my stabilizer on this day we celebrate our Mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    This was a good letter to read. However, looking at it from a potential employer, I think you got a few glitches. But that can be taken care of. Right now, I do not have bigger paying projects. But we are constantly looking out for more of everything... clients, employees and projects

    ReplyDelete